Pousada de Tavira, Tavira, Algarve, Portugal
In the historic centre of the city of Tavira, which stands out well on top of the rampart, is where you will find the old Convent of Eremitas de Santo Agostinho. This convent founded in 1542 by Agostinho Friar Pedro de Vila Viçosa, was built were the Jewish quarter had once been.
Prematurely, less than 200 years after having been built, there were already reports of it going into ruins, particularly around the cloister.
Around the eighteenth century it underwent recuperation, the cloister, of Renaissance concept, keeping its square plan structure backing the south façade of the church. The same was not done of the convent’s wings which were completely redesigned by the Algarvian architect Diogo Tavares de Ataíde in a work which started in 1749 and that lasted 20 years.
This same work includes the Baroque overhaul of the main façade with two split levels and a tower at each extreme.
The History of Tavira
At the beginning of the twelfth century, Tavira was considered to be a small settlement, but due to having a castle it held certain importance. In 1151 occurred the first revolt of the Muslim presence in Tavira. The castle was besieged, without however giving in to the pressure of the Arabic forces.
Tavira has one of the most interesting architectures of the whole of Algarve. Its origins date back to the year 2000 B.C. Already under the Arab occupation fishing had a great importance. In the seventeenth century, the harbour, located on the banks of the River Gilão, was a place of relevance for the loading of wine, salt and dry fish.
After the earthquake catastrophe in 1755, Tavira was totally reconstructed, – along with many beautiful buildings of eighteenth century architecture. The Santa Maria do Castelo church was built where before existed a mosque. In this church are the tombs of D. Paio Peres Correia and 7 of his knights, who had reconquered the city after this fellow knights, had been killed by the Arabs.
There are many historical heritage works that can be found in Tavira, such as the Church of Mercy, the gothic style Mother Church of Santa Maria erected in the thirteenth century, the church of the Old Convent of Santo António dos Capuchos, the Ribeira Market, the Chapel of Santa Ana and the Church of the Convent of Nossa Senhora do Carmo.
The outskirts of Tavira are still mainly rural areas, even though the county has been adapting to the demands of the Algarve Tourism of modern times. A good example of this was the construction of three golf courses over the last years.
Access to the beach is only possible by ferryboats that take and bring back the visitors to the sand banks of the Tavira Island.
Canon 5D Mkii. Canon 17-40mm F4L USM
Another photograph you may like: