Rainbow House 2 looking like it was made out of marshmallow is a riot of pastel colours in Albufeira Marina Complex, Portugal
Albufeira City History
Archaeological sites confirm that there were men living in the Albufeira area in the Neolithic period and during the Bronze Age. The Romans settled in Albufeira, on the Cerro da Vila, a rock formation that constituted an impregnable quasi-peninsula overlooking the sea and the mouth of the Albufeira creek. Little is known of the Roman town of Baltum beyond the fact that it was a fishing centre and that there were mines operating in its vicinity.
With the Arab conquest, the city was given the name of Al-Buhera, and it is from this that its current name derives. The Moorish occupation was a period of prosperity based on agriculture and on trade with North Africa, which led to the construction – or reconstruction – of the town’s castle and defensive walls.
After the first Christian occupation in 1189/1190, Albufeira became part of the kingdom of the Algarve after the definitive reconquest in 1249.
A period of decline ensued due to dwindling trade with the ports of the Mediterranean, and was followed by economic revival during the period of the Discoveries (15th/16th centuries). In the 18th century, a series of seismic tremors, culminating in the earthquake of 1755, reduced Albufeira to poverty, and it was only at the end of the 19th century that prosperity returned, with the growth of the fishing and fish preserves industry.
Since the 1960s Albufeira has become an internationally renowned centre for tourism, which has brought renewed growth and, in 1986, elevation to the status of a city.
Marina Albufeira opened seven years and is one of the safest and most sheltered marinas in Portugal.
This marina is part of a high-quality tourist complex which includes in its development hotels, restaurants, bars, a nautical club, shops, swimming-pools, apartments, villas and a recreational and leisure centre. The most comprehensive support service is available to all sailors and their boats, in addition to a permanent, friendly and highly professional team.
The marina features 475 moorings for all classes of nautical recreational vessels and also houses all the necessary facilities to provide quality auxiliary services, including a Nautical Club to be built over a prime waterside setting.
The boat yard has a 70-ton “travel-lift” for vessels with a breadth of up to 6,7 metres, a 6-ton hoist-crane, eight repair booths operated by reputable entities, as well as four larger workshops to carry out large-scale repairs.
Marina de Albufeira enjoys an ideal geographical location, in the Algarve, right at the end of the motorway from Lisbon and 40 kilometres from Faro airport, providing all the necessary conditions to keep even the most demanding seafarers happy.
The environmental impact of the marina was one of the top priorities right from the beginning, and the Environment Management Systems of the marina de Albufeira are certified, since 2008, under ISO 14001. On this matter, in 2011 the marina, was once again awarded with the European Blue Flag and for the first time has been distinguish with the 5 Gold Anchors Award of The Yacht Harbour Association and British Marine Federation.
Approach at approximately 315º to enter between the sea walls into the harbour.
Pass between the sea walls into the outer harbour.
East Beacon: Tower painted with horizontal green and white stripes. Green light.
West beacon: Tower painted with horizontal red and white stripes. Red light.
Proceed along the navigational channel as demarcated by the lateral green and red markings until the entrance to the marina channel indicated by two cylindrical tower beacons painted with wide green and white stripes to starboard and red and white stripes to port. The channel is dredged 4 metres and the reception quay is situated at the end of the channel on the starboard side.
The marina reception office houses the Police, customs and the Port Captain. If coming from a Portuguese port it is necessary only to visit the reception desk to acquire a berth number
Canon 5D Mkii Canon 17-40mm F4L USM