Construction on Ballarat West Railway Station began in 1862 with the original buildings constructed at a cost of almost 22,000 pounds with the original railway line to Melbourne going via Geelong to service the booming Ballarat goldfields.
A bluestone engine shed was built to the south and the goods shed to the north were added in 1863. In 1877 the footbridge and waiting rooms on the south side were added.
Following the opening of the direct line from Ballarat to Melbourne was established in December 1889 and increase in patronage led to plans to upgrade the station. A grand portico, stationmasters office and clocktower were added in 1891 however the clock was not added at this time.
With the closure of Ballarat East Railway Station and the amalgamation of councils, the station gradually dropped the name West Ballarat.
Noted for their historic architecture, the building is classified by Heritage Victoria and the National Trust of Victoria.
The clock was added to the tower in 1984.
Location: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm f3.5 – 6.3 @ 18mm
Exposure: f22, 0.6sec, ISO100, RAW, Tripod
Processing: Photomatix 3.2 (3 exp ±2) & Photoshop CS4