Balmain, a senior parish of the archdiocese, was a flourishing suburb in the first years of the twentieth century. Fr Michael Rohan was appointed to the Balmain parish in 1902, and he found the existing parish buildings to be totally inadequate for a growing industrial population, and the decision was taken to build a large church. The architect chosen was Albert Edmund Bates. The foundation stone was laid on 7 October 1906. On 1 December 1907, the new church was dedicated by Cardinal Moran.
Built in the amazingly short time of 13 months, the hard well-burnt brick walling has stone tracery and cement rendered dressings. The nave of the church is 103 feet long by 41 feet wide, with sanctuary 41 feet by 20 feet, and sacristy 18 feet by 12 feet. Running the full width of the church, the gallery is 20 feet deep. Seating on the ground floor was estimated at between 800 and 900, and optimistically 200 in the gallery. The ceiling is pressed metal barrel vault, and architect paid considerable attention to ensure that the ceiling enhanced the acoustics. Sanctuary marble work was executed by GE Crane and Sons, the altars by A Hordern & Sons, and the brass work by Castle & Sons. Topped by an arcaded gallery supporting a bellcast pyramid roof, the 125 foot tower is a landmark for all Balmain and the harbour.
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm f3.5 – 6.3 @ 200mm
Exposure: f16, 1/125, ISO100, RAW, Handheld
Processing: Photomatix 3.2 (3 exp ±2) & Photoshop CS4