Featured in “Country Bumpkin” September 2011
Anglesea, a coastal township and holiday resort facing Bass Strait, is 95 km. in a direct line south-west of Melbourne and 35 km. from Geelong. It is at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road which follows the coastline westwards.
Anglesea is protected from westerly weather by Point Roadknight, and the beach forms an arc in a north-easterly direction. It is crossed by the Anglesea River, originally called Swampy Creek because of its greater inland width back from the beach sands. Swampy Creek provided good fishing.
In 1884 local land owners subdivided land for sale into 8 ha. lots, about three years after a boarding house had been opened for holiday-makers. Shortly afterwards a post office (1883), Presbyterian church (1887) and hotel (1890) formed a village, but the population was mostly visitors. The name was changed to Anglesea in about 1884, probably derived from the Isle of Anglesea in Wales.
Location: Anglesea, Victoria, Australia
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm f3.5 – 6.3 @ 21mm
Exposure: f11, 1/250, ISO100, RAW, Handheld
Processing: Photomatix 3.2 (3 exp ±1) & Photoshop CS4