Top Ten Finalist in “Australian Railways – Past & Present” Challenge
The Town of Queenscliff had its beginnings about 1852, when the State Government subdivided the area originally known as Shortlands Bluff as a seaside resort. Queenscliff became quite a popular resort with boats calling daily from many places, & Cobb & Co. coaches forming a road to Geelong.
However, the position that the town was in gave it an importance. The resort was important because of the Heads of Port Phillip Bay & the need to defend the city of Melbourne. The best place to defend Melbourne was at the Heads. On a prominent piece of land in Queenscliff, overlooking the Heads, Fort Queenscliff was built.
In September 1878, a contract was let for the construction of the Victorian Railways branch line from South Geelong to Queenscliff to service Fort Queenscliff so that Australia could be better defended. Messrs. Topham, Angus & Smith won the contract & for 58,997 pounds the line was built. It is interesting to note that the 21 mile long railway was constructed & opened in less than 9 months after the contract was let.
On May 21, 1879, The Governor of Victoria, The Marquis of Normanby, officially opened the Queenscliff branch line. A celebratory banquet was held afterwards in the Grand Hotel at Queenscliff.
In 1975 and 1976 many Victorian country branch lines were announced to be closing. One of the first to close was the Queenscliff line. The final day came on November 6 1976.
Source: Bellarine Railway History website
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm f3.5 – 6.3 @ 78mm
Exposure: f11, 1/50, ISO100, RAW, Handheld
Processing: Photomatix 3.2 (±1, 3exp) & Photoshop CS4