Reflection in the Leeds-Liverpool Canal of Salts Mill, Saltaire (World Heritage Village), West Yorkshire, UK.
Saltaire was founded in 1853 by Sir Titus Salt, a leading industrialist in the Yorkshire woollen industry. The name of the village is a combination of the founder’s surname with the name of the river. Salt moved his entire business (five separate mills) from Bradford to this site near Shipley partly to provide better arrangements for his workers than could be had in Bradford and partly to site his large textile mill by a canal and a railway. Salt employed the Bradford firm of Lockwood and Mawson as his architects.
Salt built neat stone houses for his workers (much better than the slums of Bradford), wash-houses with running water, bath-houses, a hospital, as well as an Institute for recreation and education, with a library, a reading room, a concert hall, billiard room, science laboratory and gymnasium. The village also provided almshouses, allotments, a park and a boathouse.
Today, Salts Mill houses the 1953 Gallery which exhibits a large number of works by David Hockney including paintings, drawings, photomontages and stage sets. The huge building is also used as a headquarters by an electronics manufacturer.
The shops and cafes/restaurants are very popular with both tourists and locals. There are shops selling books, art supplies, jewellery, outdoor wear, antiques, suits, bicycles, and housewares.
More about Saltaire: http://www.saltairevillage.info/