Noddle’s Island is one of Boston Harbor Islands off East Boston, Massachusetts, USA In the 1940s the strait separating Noddle’s Island from East Boston was filled, thereby connecting the island to Logan International Airport on the mainland.
The island “was for over two centuries known as Noddle’s Island, from William Noddle, who was probably sent out by Brereton, and settled upon it in 1629, before Boston was founded” and was used for grazing livestock. The First Baptist Church of Boston secretly met on the island in the 17th century to avoid persecution by the Puritan state. During the Revolutionary War “on this same island was fought the second battle of the Revolution [also known as the Battle of Chelsea Creek ], and the first in which the American artillery was used.”] After the British left Boston harbor, the island was used as a hospital for the French Fleet in 1780 who dubbed it ""L’ile de France’" and buried numerous troops on the island. After this the island was heavily fortified by the Bostonians.
During World War II, the expansion of Logan Airport led to the water around Noddle’s Island being filled and connected to the mainland.
From field trip with Boston Camera Club and Jack McCabe on December 4, 2011
Nikon D5000, Tamron 18-250, nd2, 3 shots (-2, 0,+2) tripod, f16 Oloneo, finished in CaptureNX
27 Dec 2011
Noddle’s Island Pavilion, East Boston was featured in the group ART UNIVERSE
17 Dec 2011
Noddle’s Island Pavilion, East Boston was featured in the group Massachusetts Scapes
11 Dec 2011
Noddle’s Island Pavilion, East Boston was featured in the group The Beautiful East Coast (USA) No more than 4 images per day!