Lanercost Priory, Lanercost, Cumbria, Uk.
Lanercost Priorywas founded by Robert de Vaux between 1165 and 1174 to house Augustinian Canons, the majority of the building dates from the late 13th century.
The priory suffered during the Border Wars and was often a target of Scottish attacks.
The priory was dissolved by Henry III in 1538, the north aisle became the parish church but the conventual buildings were stripped of their roofs.
At Dissoloution, ownership passed to the Dacre family, and then to the Howards in the early 18th century.
The priory ruins were put into public ownership in 1929 and is now under the care of English Heritage.