In 1883, Richard Goldsbrough built a warehouse in Pyrmont Street, Sydney Australia, for storing thousands of bales of wool. By the Second World War, twenty multi-storey warehouses had been built in the area to cater for what was then Australia’s major export industry. Goldsbrough’s store used hydraulic goods and passenger lifts, and had the largest floor area of any building in the colony, with its own railway siding. It burned down in 1935 and the present building went up on the site. By the beginning of the 1970s the woolstores had begun to empty as the wool brokers relocated activities to the west of the City of Sydney. The Goldsborough Mort Woolstores (pictured here) were converted into plush apartments in 1995.