Highlands and Islands Photography Group, 7th June 2014
A Nikon (UK) Group, 28th June, 2014
The ruins of the Earl’s Palace in Kirkwall, Orkney, Scotland (UK) is directly opposite the the Bishop’s Palace, and a short distance to the south of St Magnus Cathedral. It has been hailed as “the finest example of French Renaissance architecture in Scotland”. The construction of the Earl’s Palace began in 1600, instigated by Patrick Stewart (a cruel despot), a few years after his accession to the earldom. Using forced labour to quarry and ship in the stone for the grandiose scheme, Patrick Stewart planned to build a dwelling unrivalled in design, comfort and beauty. His plan was to incorporate the remains of the Bishop’s Palace (opposite to the Earl’s Palace) into a massive palatial complex. But by 1606, Earl Patrick Stewart was heavily in debt. The Palace was completed in 1607 but, shortly afterwards, Patrick Stewart was arrested and work completing the final complex had to be abandoned. After Patrick’s execution in 1615, the portion of the Earl’s Palace already built became the residence of Orkney’s bishops.
Camera used: Nikon Coolpix E3200