The historic Victorian mansion was built in 1877 for Albert and Clemenza Gallatin and was purchased by the state of California to use for the state’s first families in 1903. Thirteen governors resided in the house over 64 years including Earl Warren and Pat Brown. It was made a State Historic Landmark in 1967. When Ronald Reagan became governor, they resided in the house for 3 months when Mrs Reagan declared it a fire trap and moved the family to a suburb. They commissioned a new Governor’s mansion further away along the American River. This mansion was completed about the time of Reagan’s final days in office and the new governor, Jerry Brown refused to live there. No governor ever lived in the house and it was sold in 1982. There has been no official governor’s residence since that time.