The sound of the chirp changed as soon as I entered “Third Grove” in Weedy Field. It went from ‘songbird happy’ to a harsh ‘tweep’. Then the tweep got closer, closer still. Before I could raise my camera, she was IN MY FACE for being so close to where she (probably) had a nest. By IN MY FACE I mean less than a foot and far too close for anything but a hummingbird to do. It was enough to make me step back and apologize for the intrusion. It wasn’t enough to make me miss “The Shot” though so back I went to the same branches and back she came, a bit more demonstrative in sound and braveness. The Nikon D90 was set on full auto because I didn’t trust myself to nail all the settings quickly enough. I also knew I wasn’t going to get another chance. With the auto-focus ‘loose’ at “A” (The focus is recalculated for each shot so the blazing 4+ frames per second is compromised for more accurate shots during a burst of images), I didn’t even both to use the viewfinder. I just held the camera up and hoped the focal distance wasn’t too close for the lens. It wasn’t. :-D
This is my first WOW shot of a bird without anything more than a standard kit lens. Nothing was done to this shot except cropping; the bird was literally too close for comfort.
I’m going to leave the ID in the trusting hands of more experienced birders and like mushroom ID, I know someone will know as soon as they see the image.
A complete set of over 100 shots of robins and returning Cedar waxwings was lost on a partially erased SD card when I transferred them in my sleep. (I know, that’s bad. But at least I wasn’t eating or trying to clean-up afterwards!) I’ve been crestfallen since December 29th. Only today when I went in Weedy Field to shoot more mushrooms did the shots surface as “un-viewable” on the card. Well, un-viewable is actually wonderful when you know you’ve lost something: opening it with some other hardware may make it viewable. Sure enough, all the shots were recovered. It looks like the Nikon found the addresses of the files as ‘used space’ and created a file titled j;l,m,,.,.lkikjiu.,mnkjllklllk;ll;lj’’;kk’ that my PC read as the key to finding the addresses it couldn’t find. The weird file is tagged as an image by the camera but neither the Nikon nor my computer can open it. I wouldn’t suggest trying to recreate this minor miracle; you’ll probably lose whatever you transferred to nowhere or outright deleted. But I am the single happiest photographer in California right now. Yippie!
Camera: Nikon D90
Lens: Nikkor 18-105mm Focal length for this shot was 66mm
ISO: 200 (Baseline for the D90)
Metering mode: pattern
Nikon Creative setting was completely neutral; what you see is what I saw