This old bridge USED to be the oldest covered bridge in service in America. And it was used by CARS, no less!!! Thankfully, the road to it is well barricaded these days.
I wasted a long time working on correcting the perspective of this shot before I bothered to look at the test shots. Yup, the bridge isn’t standing up all that well. LOL! In fact, as a WALKED across it, I was more than a little uncomfortable: some of the wood on the bottom is so spongy my weight made it bow. And there were completely missing sections of the sides; the entire interior is reinforced with wire fencing but even that doesn’t seem secure.
The tough part is that this is what appears to be the only way to get to some of the homes on the other side. Of course, when you live out in a place like this tho, you’d better be used to ‘roughing it’ most of the time or you ain’t gonna make it, peeps!
The historical landmark sign said that the entire bridge got washed downstream during a flood and had to be dragged back. Along the way, it tumbling several times and eventually wound up in the right place but upside-down! I could see no evidence of the roof once being the floor but I wasn’t looking all that carefully while praying I wouldn’t be in Oregon Creek by way of a new large hole or complete failure of what’s left of the structure.
Incidentally, I was sitting on a rock in Oregon Creek when I discovered the solution to the faulty firmware in my Nikon D80. As you can see, the lighting was fierce-bright and I was fighting to keep as much of it out as possible, including using a #4 neutral density filter. But in adjusting every setting possible, I turned off the auto ISO which isn’t supposed to be functioning when the camera is in full manual mode. Surprise! It slows the shutter speed down 1/3 even when it’s NOT in use and the camera’s ISO is being set manually! So I went from a camera I needed to return to Nikon that took only 2 shots per second to a speed demon that only now takes 3 shots per second. Not a pro in Sacramento or online could tell me that was the problem.