Stained glass window. Nikon Coolpix S630
Saint John The Evangelist Church.
Between 1890 and 1910 the town of Winthrop had a dramatic increase in population. It doubled during the 1890’s and rose from 6,000 to 10,000 in the early 1900’s. We can presume that many of the new people were Catholics. Saint John the Evangelist parish was made permanent on January 3, 1907 by Archbishop John J. Williams. Rev. John H. Griffin was the first pastor, well-known previously to Winthrop residents for his administration to the spiritual needs of the Catholic people of Winthrop while an assistant at the Star of the Sea Church. During his eighteen years as pastor of St. John’s he proved to be a priest of great energy, vision and courage, beloved by his people.