The Soldiers and Sailors Monument on Boston Common in Boston, Massachusetts, was erected in memory of Massachusetts soldiers and sailors who died in the U.S. Civil War. Designed by Martin Milmore, construction began in 1874 and the monument was dedicated on September 17, 1877.
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument is located on a rise called Flag Staff Hill. The monument is neoclassical in design, taking the form of a victory column carved of Hallowell white granite. The monument rises to a height of 126 feet. The platform is 38 feet square and features four bas-relief bronze tablets. The first tablet is titled The Departure for the War, and depicts a regiment marching by the Massachusetts State House. The second bas-relief tablet depicts the medical care on the battlefield and is titled The Sanitary Commission. The third tablet depicts Union sailors in an engagement between a Federal man-of-war and a Confederate ironclad likely the CSS Virginia. The fourth tablet, entitled The Return from the War shows a regiment of veterans marching by the State House to present their battle flags to Governor John Albion Andrew.
Above the bas-relief tablets at the base of the column are four 8 foot high carved granite figures representing the northern, southern, eastern and western sections of the reunited nation.
Bronze statues that formerly stood on the monument’s corners representing peace, history, the army and the navy have been placed in storage to prevent further deterioration and vandalism.
Surmounting the doric column is a bronze allegorical female figure titled AMERICA. She is crowned by thirteen stars, and in her left hand holds the United States flag, in her right hand she holds a laurel wreath and sword.