The lights of Boldt Castle, Heart Island in the Saint Lawrence River. Taken 2/18/11 from Alexandria Bay, New York, USA.
Thank you for the features:
Canon EOS 60D, 18-135 mm lens
HDR/Tonemapping in Photomatix Pro
3 exposures: -2, 0, +2
Although Boldt Castle is deserted during the winter months, the lights stay on for a short period of time at dusk.
Boldt Castle, located on Heart Island in the St. Lawrence River, is a monument of love from George Boldt to his wife Louise. Beginning in 1900, 300 workers including stonemasons, carpenters, and artists fashioned the six story, 120 room castle, complete with tunnels, a powerhouse, Italian gardens, a drawbridge, and a dove cote.
In 1904, tragedy struck. Boldt telegraphed the island and commanded the workers to immediately “stop all construction.” Louise had died suddenly. A broken hearted Boldt could not imagine his dream castle without his beloved. Boldt never returned to the island, leaving behind the structure as a monument of his love.
For 73 years, the castle and various stone structures were left to the mercy of the wind, rain, ice, snow and vandals. When the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority acquired the property in 1977, it was decided that through the use of all net revenues from the castle operation it would be preserved for the enjoyment of future generations. Several million dollars have been spent since the mid-1970’s to restore the castle.