The ceiling architecture and artwork of the threshold of St Mark’s Basilica of Venice.
The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark (officially known in Italian as the Basilica Cattedrale Patriarcale di San Marco and commonly known as Saint Mark’s Basilica) is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, northern Italy. It is the most famous of the city’s churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture.
It lies at the eastern end of the Piazza San Marco, adjacent and connected to the Doge’s Palace. Originally it was the chapel of the Doge, and has only been the city’s cathedral since 1807, when it became the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice, formerly at San Pietro di Castello. For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building has been known by the nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold).[c
*Photograph taken with Nikon D7000, 10-20mm Sigma lens @ 20mm, iso100, f/5.6 handheld. HDR created from 3 bracketed exposures (-2,0,+2), tonemapped in Photomatix. Final processing in PS CS4.
Image added on 8th of June, 2011
Others you may like: