Fort Amherst is located at the entrance of St. John’s Harbor opposite Signal Hill across the Narrows’. The Fort was built in the 1770’s to defend the entrance of the Narrows’. Gun placements were used at The Fort during WWII to protect the harbor from German U-boats. In 1813 a lighthouse was built at Fort Amherst and was to be the first permanent lighthouse established in Newfoundland. It operated until 1835 but was then replaced by a new structure in 1852, which was demolished in the early 1950’s to make way for the new lighthouse which is seen today.