Boyds wind grist mill is located in Middletown, Rhode Island, the last of two remaining. The 38’, eight vaned structure was built by John Peterson in 1810 in a “smock” style, so named because of its resemblance to a man in a smock. It was built from oak timbers which came from Peterson’s wrecked schooner.
Wm. Boyd first leased, then bought the mill in 1815. The grain provided feed for fattening livestock, and some for household use.
It deteriorated over the years and was restored in 1998.