A wonderful cottage garden in country Victoria, Australia.
enjoy the garden..Garden of St Erth. Blackwood
*In 1854 Matthew Rogers, a Cornish stonemason, left Sydney in pursuit of gold discovered near Mount Blackwood in Victoria. In the 1860s he built a sandstone cottage, naming it ‘St Erth’ after his birthplace in Cornwall.
Rogers attached a wooden building to the western end of his stone cottage which served as a post office and store. Behind it was a boot factory that formed part of a bustling town of 13,000 people. His daughter Elizabeth and her husband Jim Terrill continued at the store, but as gold ran out, the wooden buildings of the town were moved to Trentham. For a time the house lay empty and the bush moved back in. Eventually it was bought by a group of Melbourne businessmen who called themselves the Simmons Reef Shire Council. *