The Vorontsov Palace is an historic palace situated at the foot of the Crimean Mountains near the town of Alupka in Crimea, located in southern Ukraine. The palace was constructed for Prince Mikhail Vorontsov as a summer residence in the Tudor style , with elements of Scottish Baronial, Moorish Revival, and Gothic architecture.
The Vorontsov Palace is one of the oldest and largest residential palaces in all of Crimea,as well as one of the most popular tourist attractions on Crimea’s southern coast.
The palace was commissioned to be used as a summer residence for the Governor-General of Novorossiya, Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov (1782-1856). Construction on the palace began in 1830, according to a project by English architect Edward Blore (1789–1879). The architect himself did not visit Alupka, but was well informed about the area’s mountainous landscape and terrain. When the construction began, it was discovered that a foundation and basement of the palace’s main concourse was already in place, owing to the fact that the palace was originally supposed to be constructed to the design of architects Francesco Boffo and Thomas Harrison.
The Vorontsov Palace was built according to new architectural-construction principles, however still managing to incorporate Classical style architectural elements. An important architectural characteristic of the palace was its relation to the nearby Crimean Mountains, with which it harmonized perfectly. The palace was designed in the English Tudor style, incorporating elements of early English architecture with later architecture, because it took about 18 years to construct the palace. The earliest examples of the palace’s architecture appear from the western gates — the later architecture, appears farther away from the western gates.
The first room to be constructed of the Vorontsov Palace was the dining room, built from 1830-1834. The main and central wing of the building was constructed from 1831-1837. During 1841-1842, a billiard room was added to the dining room. During 1838-1844, the guest wing, the east wing, towers, the maintenance wing, and the front entrance were added on to the building. The last wing built of the castle was the library wing, constructed from 1842-1846. The remaining years on the construction of the palace were spent on the interior decor.
The largest of the landscaping jobs carried out on the palace’s grounds were done from 1840 to 1848 with the help of soldiers helping to construct the park’s terraces located in front of the building’s southern entrance. The parks plant life was brought in from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, from North and South America, and eastern Asia.Currently over 200 species of plant life exist within the palace’s grounds.
The palace’s Tudor-style exterior walls.
In the summer of 1848, white marble sculptures of two medici lions were installed on the central staircase leading up to the castle. The sculptures were carried out by the Italian sculptor Giovanni Bonnani. The construction of the palace ensemble was finished with the addition of the lion sculptures.
From February 11–14, 1945, the Yalta Conference took place in the neighboring Livadia Palace between representatives from the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union. During the time, the Vorontsov Palace served as the residence of Winston Churchill and the British delegation to the conference. In 1956, the Vorontsov Palace was once again reinstated as a museum, in 1965 the palace’s territory was named as the Alupka Palace-Park Complex.
This capture is taken on southeast coast of Crimea and plus adding some processing in photoshop.