Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash. Matthew 7 : 24 – 27
THIS IMAGE HAS PLACED IN THE TOP TEN OF THE GROUP “UNIQUE BUILDINGS OF THE WORLD” – “ROYAL PALACES AND MANSIONS” CHALLENGE
Please View Large
Swallow’s Nest is a decorative castle near Yalta on the Crimean shore in southern Ukraine. It was built between 1911-1912 near Gaspra, on top of 40-meter (130 ft) high Aurora Cliff, to a Neo-Gothic design by the well-known architect Leon Sherwood.The building is compact in size (20 m long by 10 m wide) 65 ft by 33 ft. The castle overlooks Ai–Todor cape of the Black Sea and is located near the remnants of the Roman castrum of Charax. Swallow’s Nest is one of the most popular visitor attractions in Crimea.
The first building on the Aurora Cliff was constructed in 1895. The first structure he built was a wooden cottage romantically named the “Love Castle.” In 1911, Baron von Steinhel, a Baltic German noble , acquired the old timber cottage and within a year had it replaced by the current building. The Scottish baronial and Neo-Moorish styles had been introduced in the Crimea in the 1820s by Edward Blore.
In 1914, von Steinheil sold the building to P.Shelaputin to be used as a restaurant.
In 1927, Swallow’s Nest survived a serious earthquake rated at 6 to 7 on the Richter scale. The building was not damaged, except for some small decorative items that were thrown into the sea along with a small portion of the cliff. However, the cliff itself developed a huge crack. For a long time, Swallow’s Nest was closed to the public due to the damage it suffered in that quake.
Renovation and restoration on the building was started in only 1968. And since 1975 and now , an Italian restaurant has operated within the building.
The interior of the guest room is decorated with wooden panels; the walls of the rest of the rooms are stuccoed and painted. An observation deck rings the building, providing a view of the sea, and Yalta’s distant shoreline.
Monuments of architecture of Ukraine.