|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Christopher William Crawley [1841-1910] acquired land at Junee NSW in January 1876 under provisions of the Robertson Act of 1861.
Monte Cristo (literally Mount of Christ) was built in 1884/85 high on a hill overlooking the town.
No price was spared in its construction, built of sandstock bricks fired on site and laid on a dry stone foundation, in over a century not a single crack has appeared. Downstairs walls are 18" thick, the upper 9" and both made of solid brick, the ceilings are 12 feet high, upstairs constructed of cypress pine, milled locally, and downstairs lath and plaster.
The homestead was vandalised and in ruins when bought by Reg and Olive Ryan in 1963.
In fact, the ghost of old Mrs Crawley has been seen many times in her former room and in recent years. It is believed that after William Crawley died in 1910, from a carbuncle on his neck becoming infected by his starched collar, Mrs Crawley only left the house on two occasions in the remaining 23 years of her life: no wonder her presence still lingers. Then there are the mysterious lights, apparitions. Not without cause is Monte Cristo a favorite Australian tourist attraction for a great number of Australians and other visitors.
Single raw image duplicated 5 times into Photomatix pro at 1 space Ev. Finished in Elements 5