This image shows the Schwerin Castle, rebuild 1845-1857 from the architects Georg Adolf Demmler, Gottfried Semper, Friedrich August Stüler and Ernst Friedrich Zwirner.
The first build of a castle at this site was 965.
In 1160, the fort became a target of Germanic noblemen planning to expand their territory eastward under the leadership of Henry the Lion (1129-1195). The Obotrites under Niklot destroyed the fort but left because of the Germanic military dominance.
However, the German conquerors recognised the strategic and aesthetically interesting location of the island and started building a new fort.
Since late 1990, it is once again a place of government and representation as the seat of the parliament of State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Since then, massive renovation efforts have been conducted and are, due to the complexity of a castle of this size, still in progress.
Image is taken with a Canon 400D with 28-200mm lens.