|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Nikon d300, 18-55mm lens, f/8, 1/2000 sec., ISO 800.
In 1824, construction began on the first Sodus Bay Lighthouse. The conical stone tower was similar to the original structures at Oswego and Charlotte-Genesee. The original tower and keeper’s residence fell into disrepair after the Civil War, and were replaced in 1870. The new 45-foot limestone tower and keeper’s residence housed a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The wooden portion of the residence and the porch were later additions.
In 1834, piers were built at the mouth of Sodus Bay, and a beacon installed at the end of the pier. This beacon was replaced in 1858. A permanent beacon was installed in 1870, improved in 1901, and replaced by the current 45-foot tall white pierhead light in 1938. An inner pier light was built in 1895, but later torn down. The limestone shore light of 1870 was decommissioned in 1901. From 1901 to 1984, the keeper’s residence housed personnel maintaining the pierhead light.
In 1984, the Old Sodus Point Lighthouse was leased to the Sodus Bay Historical Society, which maintains the lighthouse for tours. The lighthouse is now known as the Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum. The keeper’s residence houses the maritime museum, gift shop and library. There is a picnic area surrounding the lighthouse, and the foundation of the original lighthouse and keeper’s residence are marked. The 1870 tower still houses the original Fresnel lens. The Sodus Bay Historical Society holds several outdoor events here in the summer, including a flea market, 5K race, concerts, and cookouts. The Sodus Outer Light is now automated, but still operational – its red lantern still guides vessels into Sodus Bay.