Kazan Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox church
located on the northeast corner of the Red Square in Moscow.
In 1936, when the Red Square was being prepared for holding the military parades of the Soviet Union, Joseph Stalin ordered the square being cleared of churches.
After the fall of the Soviet Union, Kazan Cathedral was the first church to be completely rebuilt after having been destroyed by the Communists. The cathedral’s restoration (1990–1993) was based on the detailed measurements and photographs of the original church Peter Baranovsky had made before its destruction in 1936.
(information from Wikipedia)