The Chapel of St Michael at Burrow Mump on the Levels in Somerset, was built by the monks of Athelney Abbey. It was partially destroyed and then restored in the 18th century, and has fallen back down again since then. The summit, though only raised 100ft (30m) above the sea-level surroundings, commands a wide and interesting view. Half a dozen parish churches can be seen in various directions. The hill and ruined roofless nave with the remains of the porch, some window openings without tracery were presented, in 1946, by Major Alexander Gould Barrett, to the National Trust and serve as a memorial to the 11,281 Somerset men whop lost their lives during the first and second world wars. The ruin was classified as a Grade II listed building in 1963.
Featured in Frame in Frame Group 26/10/11 Top Ten in Empty Window Challenge in Architecture British Isles Group – April 2012