Remains of Brighton West Pier (UK) lit up by lasers 10/2/10
Shutter 6 seconds
Opening in 1866 as a simple promenade pier, by the early twentieth century with the addition of a theatre and concert hall, it had become a thriving centre of seaside entertainment. By the late 1920’s the fully developed West Pier was enjoying its glamorous heyday.
With the outbreak of the second world war, and the changed circumstances of its aftermath, the fortunes of the West Pier began to decline. As the fashion for foreign holidays took hold in the 50’s and 60’s, the neglected pier fell into disrepair. Declared unsafe, the grand old lady was closed to the public in 1975.
Almost immediately the battle to restore the pier to its former glory began. However, it wasn’t until 1998, with the granting of a major Lottery award, that that goal seemed achievable. Sadly, hopes of restoration were dashed when the pier was destroyed by fire in 2003.
‘The Ashes’ Feb 2010
‘Night of Low Light’ Feb 2010