This imposing structure can be seen for miles around Collingwood and symbolizes the twin engines of commerce in the early 1900’s, agriculture and shipping.
In 1899, the Collingwood Council identified the need to erect a Modern elevator, but due to low water levels, construction was delayed until 1929, when the Federal government agreed to pay for dredging.
The two million bushel grain elevator has bins 100 feet high and 22 feet in diameter. The steamer MUNISING arrived in September 1929 with 228,000 bushels of American grain, the first shipment for this important new structure, the third grain elevator in Collingwood’s growing economy.
Grain service stopped in 1993, ending 64 years of operation for the cement elevator and 123 years of grain trade in Collingwood. The terminals, now owned by the Town of Collingwood, continue as a modern day landmark and will be an important part of the future redevelopment of Collingwood Harbour.
Taken: September 17 2011
Collingwood, Ontario, Canada