The city flag of Viana do Castelo.
The City of Viana do Castelo has according to 2011 data 88.767 inhabitants and is the headquarters of a municipality with the same name and 40 parishes and as well the headquarters of the most northern portuguese district. The city lays by the Atlantic ocean and the end of the river Lima.
The city was founded in the 1258 by the Portuguese King D.Afonso III and became a very important trading post for Portugal due to the comerce with northern Europe. Threfore, some defenses were built to protect the city and the harbour from the spanish and arab pirates. The people from northern Europe was coming to the city to exchange wine, fruit and salt, for flatware, fine tissues, tapestries and glass produced in the region of Viana do Castelo.
The town became a city only in 1848 when the Portuguese Queen D.Maria II decided to reward the people from that town due to the fact that they remained loyal to the Queen when there was a popular uprising in that time.
Nowadays the city still has it’s main cultural, industrial and economical activity stongly connected to the sea. Small city but definately worthwhile to visit with a beautiful river side and historical center full of narrow old streets and medieval plazzas and architecture.
Viana do Castelo by the city’s library – Portugal