Mary Watt was an artist and she designed Watts Cemetery Chapel when Compton Parish Council bought the land for a new cemetery in 1895. This extraordinary circular building is covered in celtic and art nouveau decoration. Local villagers were invited to decorate the chapel under her guidance. Each member of her class had a separate job and 74 Compton villagers took part. G.F. Watts paid for the project and also painted a version of The All-Pervading for the altar only three months before he died.
Mary Watts was deeply involved with the Home Arts and Industries Association. She founded the Compton Potters’ Arts Guild, producing terracotta garden ornaments.
Camera – Canon EOS 60D