The Rotunda at the Daylesford Botanic Gardens sits under a cover of green from the many leafy trees in the gardens.
The site on the summit of the extinct volcano of Wombat Hill at an elevation of 667.8 metres, provides a rich soil, cool climate growing conditions, a favourable aspect and excellent views to the surrounding countryside and over the Daylesford township.
The land was first set aside in 1854, reserved as public garden in 1862, and developed from c.1865.
The Gardens were extended slightly in 1870 and 1883 and developed with input from noted nineteenth century landscape designer, William Sangster, in 1884-85 whose original plan survives.
Olympus E-30, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, 18mm, f/6.3, 1/100 sec., ISO 200.