An abstract photograph of the treeline at a local landmark that is steeped in history.
The hilltop looks down on the site of the Battle of Watling Street (AD60 or AD61). Just below the treeline is where the Roman troops led by Gaius Suetonius Paulinus waited to battle the Iceni led by Boudica. Although outnumbered 20:1 the Romans defeated the British and secured their grip on the land for another 400 years.
The hills original old english name of Headred’s Hill comes from the name of a local landowner Heardred or, as he is better known, Hereward the Wake the reputed son of Leofric, Earl of Mercia and his wife Lady Godiva. The spelling has become corrupted over the years and the site is now a country park known as Hartshill Hayes.
In the 1600’s George Fox who is commonly considered the founder of the Religious Society of Friends known as the Quakers was born in the valley below the hill and for a short time was a shepherd tending his flock in the fields around the hill.