Sunset behind one of the old mine workings at Woodhorn Mining Museum, Ashington, England.
Woodhorn Colliery was the third pit sunk by the Ashington Coal Company. Work on the first shaft began on 16th May 1894 and production started in February 1898. A second shaft was added at the turn of the century and began drawing coal in 1901.
Above ground, the colliery was laid out in a largely standard manner for this period and region – it had winders for the shafts, blacksmiths’ and joiners shops, fan house, various workshops, stables, a pond, boilers, spoil heap, magazine and a railway link.
Underground, coal was extracted by a method called longwall working, or total extraction. This extended outwards from the two shafts following the coal seams. This cutaway reconstruction is based on old maps, photographs and a plan of underground workings made in about 1948.
Camera: Canon 5D Mark II
Featured in the group “Everything Old”