Lake Hume near Albury
The construction of the Hume Dam commenced on 28 November 1919 and was completed in 1936. The construction site was initially referred to as ‘the Mitta Mitta Dam site’, but in February 1920 the River Murray Commission adopted the name ‘Hume Reservoir’ to honour Hamilton Hume, who was one of the first Europeans to see and cross the River Murray.
Hume Dam is the major operating storage of the River Murray system. The storage regulates the River Murray, and re-regulates water discharged from the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme.