The platform at the Albury railway station
Albury Railway Station was built during 1881-83 and was designed by NSW Government Railways Chief Engineer John Whitton. The building is symmetrical with a prominent central clock tower surmounted by a small cupola. The building is over 91 metres long and is constructed of polychrome brick which is relieved by stuccoed decoration marking out pilasters, arch lintels, pediments, architraves and string courses. There are some characteristics of Victorian Italianate style. The platform, notable for its great length (it is one of the longest in Australia), is built of cast iron with fluted columns and it has an iron roof. Internally, the building features an impressive domed main booking hall. The station is an imposing structure, one of the best of its type in Australia, located in a prominent position which makes it a fine city landmark in Albury. (AHC Register of the National Estate, 1978).