The main idea was to create a poster that a friend of Amsterdam asked me for, to could hopefully become a representative one of a Spring-Celebration in the center of the city.
Taking as reference the bright colors that the well known Vincent van Gogh used in his paintings, getting also inspired in the spotting Nordic light of some Flemish master pieces, all worked and mixed with a Mediterranean spirit in a naïve simple pop-version based in “dutch” things. The channels of Amsterdam, the city´s buildings, the monuments, the markets of flowers, generally always the flowers that grow there in the fields and are also imported and exported from the Netherlands becoming one of its main economy sources, the Springtime in June up north, the music …Remembering also the Royal color, the orange, the Nature and the Environment, and of course the common social values… I´ve created a hand-made, plus digital design poster, trying to represent all that and offered in 5 colourful different versions.
THE SPIRITUAL ONE. The blue/violet to me express the spiritual harmony, the deep serious feelings, emotions and the inner life someone should have and know. The rest of colours express the Netherlands. A blue evening Amsterdam spring quay with running-water, the buildings, the flowers, the orange color..
THE ARTISTIC ONE. I´ve got inspired in Art, the Museums of the city, the Cafés and Shops, getting mainly inspired in the famous van Gogh “Sunflowers” colors, and of course in other artists´ works.
THE ECOLOGICAL ONE. The spring in the Netherlands, the green fields and blue sky, the Ecology and the respect for the Environment and recycling activities dutch people have fond over there, the bicycles ridding everywhere, the crops and spring flowers. Natural & pure.
THE EVERY WOKING-DAY ONE. The evening-lights of Amsterdam, the streets and monuments, the channels, the orange color and the markets of flowers…associations and groups of different sized bunches of flowers that combined represent also the working wheel engines, the mechanisms and the city buildings.
THE ROYAL ONE. The Royal Amsterdam….a naïve view of the city, based in a deep Royal orange, reddish and yellowish childish background colors in very warm environment that wraps the church in springtime. The children, Butter-Cookies, Cinnamon-cookies, Royal spring notes of happy new coming events and deep music that makes us feel the joy, feel the warm city and felt hugged.
We are all the same, but all at the same time all we are very different, and all under a warm hug for a good cause. An event to could welcome and integrate all the people from different parts of the city. Different races, different points of view, different appreciations of life etc…providing to them the same idea but with a different touch. Showing to them what are able to do and offering hope and inspiration. We belong all to the same yard, but we, as the vines, are all different and each one of us produces a different wine…Is important to make grow new seeds of love comprehension and care through wise deep ties. And why not starting through a simple colorful idea like this?
Transmitting through the colours…
1. The values of respect ( for other human beings, other cultures, other perspectives and for the environment and nature, to could all live in a healthy-sane community ). Respect, Understanding, knowledge and good wise heart to could handle all the matters of life.
2. The values of work ( represented in this case in many different ways, mechanism of life, wheels and engines of flowers, the markets of Amsterdam mainly, the every-day life in the city through its buildings, the channels, the streets, the bicycles, the church etc…) Work to obtain a good-well for ourselves as persons and also for the society we live in.
3. The values of the “passion” and the “strength” ( through the Art ) to express our own lives. We all have to live in this world and make it as better as we can for the well-being of all of us ( humans, animals and Earth ). Without passion life can become a routine and that´s not good for a wise sparkling soul. We need a good brain, motivations and deep values but also we need passion to could enhance them and reach goals in life. One of the worldwide passions all human beings understands and appreciates is the music.
4. The values of the family and love ( to belong, to feel and to know having different family members ( in this case different posters ) but all belonging to the same group, community and wanting to care for them ( knowing all them in their differences ). Love , care, affection and compassion. Values we all should have within us, with our friends, with our family members, with our neighbours, with our pets, in our jobs and even with our “enemies”, to could understand them and if not be able to love them deep as if they were like a brother, could feel compassion while understanding their ways.
5. The inner spirituality and inner life of each person. The soul and the good base in deep human feelings that make us be as we are.
I hope you will like them :-)