Jack-O-Lantern (Omphalotus olearius) has true, sharp, non-forking gills and is orange through and through. This mushroom is so sweet smelling and so appealing, some folks yield to temptation … again. They actually try them for a second time after suffering the effects of eating them the first time and are poisoned again!
If consumed by a human, this fungi causes a terrible, horrible, painful digestive system upset of the worst sort. Ugh!
Photo taken in a clearing of a deep, dark forest in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, USA in Macon County near the small town of Franklin.