The Governor’s Palace is part of the “Williamsburg Historic District” on the “National Register of Historic Places.”
The Governor’s Palace and Gardens
The Governor’s Palace was the home of five Royal Lieutenant-Governors, two Royal Governor’s, and the first two Governors of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson. An act by Virginia’s General Assembly in 1706 authorized the construction of a residence in Williamsburg for the Governor. The Palace, completed in 1722, was destroyed by a fire in 1781 while it was being used as a hospital for Americans wounded at the battle of Yorktown. The Palace was reconstructed on its original foundations and is furnished to represent the home of the last British Royal Governor of Virginia, John Murray, the fourth Earl of Dunmore, and his family.