Wren Building, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
Wren Building is on the “National Register of Historic Places”.
The Sir Christopher Wren Building at the College of William and Mary in Virginia is the oldest college building in the United States and the oldest of the restored public buildings in Williamsburg. It was constructed between 1695 and 1700, before Williamsburg was founded, when the capital of the colony of Virginia was still located at Jamestown.
Known simply as “the College,” the main building was renamed in this century for the famous English architect, Sir Christopher Wren, to whom an eighteenth-century author attributed the design.
In 1699 the colonial capital was moved from Jamestown to the newly formed city of Williamsburg, and the Wren Building, then the largest structure in the area, became the temporary headquarters of the government from 1700 until 1704, when the Capitol was completed.
Today, as the Wren Building enters its fourth century, it continues to be used as an academic building, housing faculty offices on the third floor and classrooms throughout the building.