The Cenotaph, Palmerston North’s War Memorial, was constructed in 1926. Money for the monument was raised by the Palmerston North and Districts Soldiers Memorial Fund. At the time, there was considerable discussion over the form of the memorial and its location in the centre of the Square, which at that time was occupied by the railway line. Eventually it was decided to deviate the railway, to site the memorial in the central location. The monument is a copy of one found in Folkstone, England. The figure represents the spirit of motherhood and holds a wreath of remembrance and a New Zealand Flag. She looks North West towards the battlefields of Europe. The memorial has remained largely unchanged over the years until it was rededicated in 2005 with various additions including plaques listing the names of all the war dead from the region, six flagpoles, and steps bordered on either side by stone plinths.
Taken with a Canon power shot SX20 IS