1. A child’s cries ring out in the black
2. Fizzling through fissures in the darkness
3. Ricocheting off street lamps diluted
4. Like diamonds
6. Until the suburban sidewalk cacklesssss
7. With the laughter of saints
9. Like the hand on the shoulder of his
10. Bruise, stroke, harder than softer
11. Until bones bleed justice
12. like an eclipse in the night sky
13. unseen behind the stars of his tears.
14. And he sees her whip, silver, strike through the lamplight
15. Raspberry cheeks bloodstained like his face.
16. And he sees the morning, coming round
17. To take what’s left of his pain, and hide it,
18. “I am not sad.”
19. Screamed into the rose-red fingers of dawn.
Perform, and repeat.