The Edzell Castle Garden was created in 1604 by David Lindsay and was known as the Great Garden. This walled garden still has the heraldic and symbolic sculptures in place. These include carved panels on the garden walls. These were themed the Seven Cardinal Virtues (Fides, Spes, Caritas, Prudentia, Temperantia, Fortitudo and Justitia) on the West Wall, the Seven Liberal Arts (Grammatica, Rhetorica, Dialectia, Arithmetica, Musica, Geometria and Astronomia) on the South Wall and the Seven Planetary Deities (Greek or Roman Gods of Luna, Mercury, Venus, Sol, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) on the East Wall. Some are replicas and the originals are kept on display on the Summer House to help preserve them. The photo shows the coat of arms of the Lindsays.