Another view of the Whalley viaduct, known locally as Whalley Arches. Known locally as “Whalley Arches”, Whalley Viaduct is a listed structure 48 span railway bridge crossing the River Calder, Lancashire , UK.
Built between 1846 and 1850 under the engineering supervison of Terrence Wolfe Flanagan, the viaduct is of red brick arch construction. The longest and largest railway viaduct in Lancashire2, it was built for The Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway, carrying the line 21.3m above the river for a distance of 620m.
More than seven million bricks and 12,338 cubic metres of stone were used in its construction. Some 3,000m of timber were used for the arch centring, temporary platforms and the permanent foundation piles. During construction, on October 6, 1849, two of the 41 arches then completed collapsed, with the loss of three lives.
The southern side of the bridge, nearest the remains of the Abbey, bears the only decorative treatment.
Taken with a canon 450D and a canon 10-22mm wide angle lens @ 22mm. Hdr from a single raw at 1EV spacing and processed in photomatix pro. Further tweeked in cs4.