Taken in St Katherine’s dock London
St Katherine’s Dock was originally built in 1828 on the site of an old hospital of the same name, 11,000 people were displaced from the local area but London needed more docks because of the amount of trade coming up the Thames.
The docks were a new design for the time, two docks were dug out, East and West and they were linked to the river by a 180ft long lock. The shape of the docks meant they had a very long quayside for such a small area of water and warehouse’s were built right on the quayside so ships could unload straight into them.
St Katherine’s handled imports of sugar, spices, wines, rubber, carpets, marble and ivory but was also well known for shells, tortoise shell and mother of pearl and feathers. Back in the 19th century it cost £1 to dock and unload a ship for 24 hours. Like most London docks St Katherine’s was overtaken by modern container methods and closed in 1968.
Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 19mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/25 sec – F/3.5
Sensitivity: ISO 800
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
UNITED: AUSTRALIA, UK and the USA