St. Botolphs church, Quarrington, Sleaford, Lincolnshire on a cold wintery morning.
According to the church’s booklet, ‘A Short History by Christopher J. Micklethwaite’, the present church structure dates back to the 13th-century when the first Rector listed was Alexander de Brauncewell in 1218. The tower was built about 1325 and apart from the replacement of four pinnacles in 1887 restoration has been minimal. The nave pillars and arcade date from about 1325 and are early English in style. The Perpendicular styled font dates from the late 14th-century; however its cover is dated 1856. The raised quinquangular apse with its unusual style was designed and built by Charles Kirk (1825-1902), in 1862. Charles was head of a family firm of builders and architects at one time based in Sleaford and responsible for much 19th-century railway and ecclesiastical architecture and the restoration of the latter. He was a devout churchman and churchwarden of Quarrington and the tall candlesticks commemorate him. The wooden altar and reredos were carved by Jones in Willis in memory of Myra Brooks. The reredos in the Lady Chapel are wrought iron gates which date from 1889 and once provided access to the former vestry. The space in this has been taken up by the present organ and so a vestry and sacristy has been provided in the bottom of the tower. The clock was added in 1929 with eight bells that were installed with the two older ones. Stained glass windows span 1876 to 1995.
Taken with a Canon 550D, with a 55-250mm IS lens.
F/4, ISO100, 60mm, 1/800