Norah Head, Central Coast, NSW Australia – late afternoon
The lighthouse at Norah Head was established in 1903.
It was the last of the lighthouses built in the style of James Barnet. Even though it bears the typical characteristics of his style it is not known whether Barnet or his successor C W Darley who built the tower designed it.
The tower is a precast concrete block structure where the blocks were cast on the ground and raised into place. Earlier Barnet towers had the same style but their construction was expensive due to the availability of suitable stone and the use of stonemasons to shape and dress the stone.
The cost of the tower and cottages was nearly £19,000 and the cost of the optical apparatus was £5,000.
The light was upgrade in 1923 to a Ford-Schmidt kerosene burner that increased the its brilliance from 438,000 to 700,000 candlepower.
In 1961 it was converted to mains electricity and the power increased to 1,000,000 candlepower.
It is not known when the tower was automated and demanned.
5 x bracketed exposures +/- 1 stop processed in Photomatix Pro and CS% Silver Efex Pro 2
Nikon D700 24-70 f2.8 handheld
ISO 200 f16 @44mm 1/320th sec