Provence Friesland, The Netherlands,
December 2, 2012
Camera Canon Powershot SX220
De Weyert is a smock mill in Makkinga, Friesland, Netherlands
The mill was originally built in 1868 as a sawmill at place Gorredijk, where it replaced a smock mill that had been built in 1763, which itself had replaced a post mill that was standing in 1718. In 1912, the mill was moved to place Twijtel and converted to a corn mill.
The mill was moved to Makkum in 1925. A new windshaft and sails were fitted when the mill was moved. The name De Weyert comes from miller Weyert Zeephat, who had the mill moved to Marrum and worked the mill until his death in 1970 at the age of 97.
The mill was restored in 1983/84 by millwright Doornbosch. In 1989, the sails were renewed by Fabrikaat Vaags of Aalten, Gelderland. On 17 December 2005, the sails were damaged in a storm. They were repaired in 2006. The mill is used to train millers in the craft of milling.