Nikon D800 Nikkor 18-35mm f3.5-4.5
30mm, ISO 100, 2 sec, f16, -1EV
Hornby Light located on South Head of Port Jackson Sydney. Flashing its warning of a Rocky Shore & guiding Shipping safely into Sydney Harbor in the Dawn light.
The need for a lighthouse at the entrance of Jackson Bay was made evident by the loss of two ships. First was the Dunbar, wrecked in August 1857, with the loss of 121 lives. The second was Catherine Adamson, two months later in October 1857, with a loss of twenty-one lives. The tower construction ended in 1858, and it was the third lighthouse built in New South Wales, following Macquarie Lighthouse in 1818 and Nobbys Head Light in 1858. It was opened by Sir William Denison, Governor of New South Wales, and named after the family of his wife Caroline, daughter of Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby.